RE: Anybody know what this is?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Anybody know what this is?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:20:44 -0700
> Now I have a somewhat unrelated question.  Please see the following link:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/tr4_1963/transmission.html
>
> Note the object clamped to the rear of my transmission and linked back to
> the strap connecting the shifter extension on the transmission to the rear
> mount.  Does anyone know what the heck this thing is?  The object hanging
> below appears to simply be a dead weight.  I can't for the life
> of me figure
> out what the purpose of the thing is, nor can I find any
> reference to it in
> any of my TR4 related literature.

The legend handed down to me was that it was the factory's attempt to cure a
buzzing of the gearshift lever under some circumstances.  Don't know if
that's true or not, but I've seen the same arrangement on another 63 TR4, a
parts car I bought many years ago just to get the OD.

Sorry, it's all long gone, except the OD which now resides in my TR3A daily
driver.

Randall