Re: Anybody know what this is?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anybody know what this is?
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:34:52 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/03 9:37:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wbmcleod@cox.net
writes:

<< Note the object clamped to the rear of my transmission and linked back to
 >the strap connecting the shifter extension on the transmission to the rear
 >mount.  Does anyone know what the heck this thing is?  The object hanging
 >below appears to simply be a dead weight.  >>

I can't access the picture, but from the description it sounds like a damping
weight.  These were popular with Ford cars and trucks from mid 70's and up
also.  80's Chryslers had a lead weight under the horn pad to dampen steering
column vibration.

If you want to see a extreme case of damping, look at a first generation
Camaro. These had coffee can sized canisters in each corner of the car.  The
canister contained a weight with a spring above and below.  I'm pretty sure the
canister was filled with oil as well.

Why would GM use such a system?  The Camaro body design was flawed and the
stylists would not budge on a reshape so I have been told.

Harold