RE: Powder coating brake drums??

To: "'Jim Muller'" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Powder coating brake drums??
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 12:58:34 -0500
Jim:

Brakes can get pretty hot. BMWs used to be famous for red-hot brake discs on
steep descents. That's way over 400C. However most components dont get more
than a couple of hundred degrees F or the brake fluid would boil. I assume
that the PC changes once applied and then requires a higher temperature to
melt. If not then neither C or F degrees would help for almost anything. The
standard operating temperature inside an idling car's engine bay is over 100
F and the block can exceed 100C at times. That would melt the P/C on all
sorts of components if it retained the old melting temperature. Clearly it
doesn't so something must be changing.

Mark