Re: Powder coating brake drums??

Subject: Re: Powder coating brake drums??
From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@covad.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:04:38 -0600
Cc: Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jim Muller wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2004 at 9:03, Fred Thomas wrote:
>
>>>Will this work?
>>>The powder flows at 400 degrees. How hot do the drums get?

>>====== == My brake drums have been powder-coated for 13 years and
>>still look great, also over 100,000 road miles.  "FT" P/S: the powder
>>starts flowing at 100 degrees.
>
> Been thinking about this one for a few minutes, not that I have any
> experience with PC'ing.  Fred, which type of degrees are you talking
> about?  Those big C ones or the little F ones?  100deg F isn't all
> that hot!  Imagine coming back to your car in a hot parking lot
> during the summer and finding the finish of your brake drums puddling
> around your tires. :-(  On the other hand, if the drums ever get up
> to 400deg F, not to mention 400deg C, you'd have cause to worry about
> plenty more than just the finish running.  Or so it seems to me.  But
> then, what do I know?
>
> Just my $.007.

I wouldn't worry about temperature unless you plan on racing the car. On the
track, you *might* be able to raise the drum temperature high enough to be a
problem, but for street driving you should be okay.

In addition, there are high temp coating you could use if you're worried. Send
them out to JetHot for a manifold grade coating.

Andy Litkowiak