RE: Powder coating brake drums??

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Powder coating brake drums??
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:34:26 -0800
> > > Will this work?
> > > The powder flows at 400 degrees. How hot do the drums get?
> > ====== == My brake drums have been powder-coated for 13 years and
> > still look great, also over 100,000 road miles.  "FT" P/S: the powder
> > starts flowing at 100 degrees.
>
> Been thinking about this one for a few minutes, not that I have any
> experience with PC'ing.

Plastic comes in two basic types, thermoset and thermoplastic.
Thermoplastic is the one that always melts at the same temperature; while
thermoset will harden or 'set' when heated, and then not melt again until it
decomposes.

Powder coat is a thermoset process ... once the powder has cured it will no
longer melt at that temperature.  At least some powders probably will start
to flow at 100F ... you have to be sure to store them at lower temperatures
until they're applied.  Once applied and cured tho, they will no longer flow
at all, just discolor and eventually burn if they get hot enough.

Randall