Re: Living History

To: <mgendron@speakeasy.org>
Subject: Re: Living History
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:58:37 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mark Gendron wrote:
I recall reading that Triumph began de-emphasizing the "Standard"
designation at least as far back as the 1960's. When the name was
adopted, "Standard" was generally understood to mean "The standard
by which others are judged."

With respect, Mark - let's get the ducks in their rightful row :) The
Triumph Motor Company ceased to exist through bankruptcy in 1939, so no-one
at Triumph de-emphasised the "Standard" name. That decision was taken by
Standard Motor Company management.  Post war Triumph badged cars were made
by the Standard Motor Company from 1946/7 onwards. To quote the words of
Standard's founder, Mr. R.W. Maudslay 1871-1934

"No, I don't want any of these new ideas Mr. Craig. I want my car to be
composed purely of those components whose principles have been tried and
tested and accepted as reliable standards - in fact I will name my car the
Standard car."

With time, the word came to mean "ordinary," and was no longer seen as an
asset.

In American English, yes - and it has come to mean that in the English we
spoke on the eastern edge of the pond. "Ordinary" was one of the reasons the
Standard name was not used for long in North America but more importantly,
it was because two different names for products coming out of the same
factory were seen as confusing buyers. The Triumph sports car (TR2) was
well-known and it was therefore logical to use one name than two - hence the
Triumph Ten. In all other markets outside Canada/US, Standard cars were
still known as Standards and the name continued until 1963. Additionally,
the company that made all postwar Triumph badged cars until 1980 was and
still is known in the industry and in the city where they were made as
"Standard" (and rightly so :)) But what's in a name? All our 1946-1980 cars
were made by and at The Standard Motor Company, Coventry - and regardless of
what later commission plates may say to the contrary.

Jonmac

---