Re: Living History

To: "Mark Gendron" <mgendron@speakeasy.org>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Living History
From: "dixie" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:49:43 -0000
Not sure of the term Standard being used by the Standard Motor Co in this
way ( The Standard by which we are judged.) I may have missed something
during this thread so excuse me if I am going over old ground.

I always believed the name Standard was taken from our flag. The Flying
Standard I understand was the flag under which we went to war and we did a
lot of that in years gone by. Look at the size of the British empire on a
map in 1939.

In fact my father had a pre war Flying Standard car, a 1938 I believe. It
had a double Union Jack (Our National flag) mascot in Chrome and enamel on
top of the radiator. This is the Flying Standard Flag. After world war two
the Flying bit was dropped from the name for reasons unknown to me.
Subsequently Standard Triumph was born.

I am sure Jonmac will correct me if I am wrong.

Adrian
TR4A CT64306 O