TR4A frame differences

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A frame differences
From: "Kentech Motorsports" <kentech@midmaine.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:57:52 -0400
Seems that solid axle 4A frames are harder to find than IRS so my
question is this:

How hard would it be to convert a bare TR4A IRS frame to solid axle? It
looks like all I would need to do is remove the upper spring
cross-member above the trailing arms and the axle bridge. Solid axle
rear ends attach with u-bolts to the leaf springs. The front of the leaf
springs bolt to a spring hanger in the same location on the outrigger
that the trailing arms on an IRS attach to, and use a spring shackle
with bushings on the outside of the rear cross-tube tube (where the rear
bumper support brackets bolt). Does the IRS retain this spring shackle
hanger at the end of the rear cross? Anybody have a picture of an IRS
outside end of the rear cross-tube?

I've got a couple leads on frames but nothing solid (pun) yet. The guy
that IMO botched my repair offered to make the repairs look better by
using "plastic" = bondo to smooth the patches. He's harassed me,
threatened to sue me for services rendered and I ended up paying him
$500 to stop (at least we hope). Watch(out) on eBay for my bondo'ed
frame shortly - I left it with him and he's going to try to sell it. He
did do a decent job on the outrigger replacement.

Thanks again to each and everyone who's email me privately.

Peter