RE: cooling fans

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cooling fans
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 12:20:51 -0700
> What, in your opinion, is the best set up for a place like Phoenix.
> We'll probably see 117 deg. next month.  I'll probably drive at night
> when it drops to around 100 deg.  I'm getting Ken G.'s fan;

Do you mean water pump here ?

> had radiator
> cleaned and flushed; no crank hole, new ducting, 160 deg. thermostat;
> what else.  What do you think of aluminum radiator?

I don't like them, except as a racing item.  They're expensive and although
slightly lighter, don't cool as well.  Copper conducts heat much better than
aluminum, and doesn't need to be as thick.

I run a 16" Hayden behind a recored, no hole radiator.  No original fan,
original water pump, 185F non-sleeved thermostat.  Worked fine in temps up
to 115F (although I've foolishly neglected it for several years now and it
is running just a bit warm now).  I do use a 7 psi cap.

Make sure your vacuum and centrifugal advances are working properly, and
that your carb jets aren't worn.  I spent years fighting worn jets on Dad's
TR3A before finally figuring it out.

Randall