RE: cooling fans

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cooling fans
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:01:40 -0700
> If you take the engine driven fan off a TR3 do you
> have to do some sort of balancing?

The short answer is No, the engine should remain balanced without the fan.
The weights on the fan are only to balance the fan itself.

However, the racers say that the original metal fan (& it's rubber mounts)
functioned as a harmonic dampener, to prevent crank failure from a resonance
just above factory redline.  If you plan to run your engine over 5000 rpm at
all, then some sort of substitute dampener is a good idea.  It's not clear
to me how true this is ... I'm just repeating what I've heard from people
who should know.  I've run without a metal fan or dampener for many years
and never broken a crank.  However, the "hot rod" motor I'm building will
have one ...

Randall