RE: Selling Overseas?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Selling Overseas?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:31:06 -0700
> Can I or should I reject a
> bid?

You can, for cause.

>  The current high bidder is someone from Germany.

I wouldn't regard that as cause.

>  My
> reserve price has been met, but given the limited value of my car
> I cannot think that someone would want to pay the price that
> would be involved for shipping from the Midwest United States to
> Central Europe.

Germans are notoriously strange about such matters ... there are very, very
few TR2s left in Germany (or even all of Europe) due to their very tough
inspection laws.  As a result, they tend to be worth a lot more over there
than over here.  And of course, used car dealers tend to be the same all
over the world (sorry Fred, but you know it's true).

>  I am concerned that my "sale" may "crash" if the
> current bidder is the final bid winner.

The current high bidder (lobbo10) has no negative feedback & has been on
eBay for a year ... seems likely he knows what he is doing.  If he does back
out of the sale, you can leave him bad feedback (spoiling his record) and I
believe eBay will let you relist the car for free.

>  Does anyone have any experience or advice concerning eBay
> bidders from a foreign land?

Be very, very sure that you have US cash in hand before delivering the car
anywhere !  Scams involving cashier's checks and money orders have become
rampant ... just because it looks like a cashier's check drawn on a US bank
doesn't mean it is legitimate !  I've heard numerous stories of people who
have checked with their bank, even deposited the checks into their account
and had the funds 'verified', only to have them later withdrawn when the
fraud is discovered.

If the seller tries to give you any sort of instrument for more than the
purchase price, DO NOT give them anything, but immediately report them to
eBay fraud and the US Secret Service.
http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164--70449--,00.html

PS, I'm sure sorry to hear you must sell your TR2 !

Randall