RE: wiper motor grease

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wiper motor grease
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:57:24 -0700
> It's vaguely possible that I will need to dig into the Lucas
> wiper motor on my '62 Herald. (Hopefully, though, the current
> problem is rooted in the wheelboxes -- except that I have to take
> out the dash to get at one of them.)
>
> If I do have to get into the motor, what's the best grease to use
> inside same, and where do I get it?

Andy, I'm surprised at you !  How could anything be better than the Ragosine
Listate grease specified in the original service manual ?  Just drop into
your local Standard-Triumph dealer and pick some up (but be sure to have
plenty of plutonium for your DeLorean <G>).

Personally, I've used Sta-Lube's "Disc brake wheel bearing grease" which is
a lithium-based grease with added MoS2.  I believe any quality lithium
grease should work fine, tho.

Just for historical interest, the TR2/3 manual specifies a "zinc oxide based
grease" for the gearbox, which would be the 50's version of "white grease"
... but my Sta-Lube "white grease" is actually lithium based.  It also
specifies "Duckham's HBB or equivalent" grease for the racks (but again I
use wheel bearing grease).

Randall