RE: wiper motor grease

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wiper motor grease
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:32:28 -0700
> Randall, is there value in disassembling the wiper motor while it's out of
> the car for the specific purpose of repacking grease?  Or is it fine,
> knowing that wiper motors has been sitting since 1974, and even
> when retired
> had probably not been used all that much.

Well, I probably would.  Not so much to remove wear contaminants (since it's
not likely yours has much) but to renew the grease.  Old grease tends to get
hard with time and 30 years is plenty for it to turn to gravel.

>  (I confess, I have a nagging
> paranoia about opening a box like the wiper motor only to have springs and
> gears come flying out the moment I crack the container!)

The TR3A wiper gearbox is quite tame ... nothing at all should fly out when
you open the cover.  The details vary a bit depending on exactly which motor
you have (there was apparently a factory-approved replacement with a
different park switch) but it's pretty simple.  Take some notes as to what
is fitted where ... then use pliers (chain or needle nose) to remove the
clip and lift out the components.  You'll have to do this much
dis/re-assembly anyway, to install the motor in the car ... have to open the
gear case to attach the link from the big gear to the rack that operates the
wipers.

If disassembling the motor proper scares you, then you could probably skip
that part.  But I would definitely recommend lubing the gears and rack ...
unless you don't plan to ever use the wipers !

Randall