RE: Model T (was : TR4 Rear Seal: Leaking up hill) (no LBC)

Subject: RE: Model T (was : TR4 Rear Seal: Leaking up hill) (no LBC)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:06:56 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I don't want to depress you Randall, but vis a day's wages buying
> a tank of gas:

You're quite right Mark, and I'd planned to say something to that effect,
just forgot before I hit send.  Situation is worse yet for our friends in
Europe and I'm sure they're sick of hearing us Americans whine about fuel
prices when they pay many times more.  I didn't mean to be whining, just
making an observation.

> Also I'm not so sure that those old 20 hp Fords chewed up fuel the way a
> slightly used medium-sized 100 hp car does today.

I've seen reputable reports that a "Tin Lizzy" could average around 20 mpg
if driven 'moderately'.  It supposedly only takes about 10hp to keep a
modern car moving at 60 mph, and the model T suffered from poor aerodynamics
and lousy compression ratio.

> So seventy years later, in the "age of leisure", the situation is
> not a hell
> of a lot better than at the height of the great depression. :^(

Yup !

> P.S. Damnit, where's my flying car? They promised me a flying car by now!

Well ... now that you mention it ...
http://www.moller.com/skycar/
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article_id=3584
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/15/nextfest_wrap/