RE: Do it yourself alignment question (TR3A)

To: <ZoboHerald@aol.com>, <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Do it yourself alignment question (TR3A)
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:56:55 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of ZoboHerald@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 7:16 PM
To: jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net; triumphs@autox.team.net

In a message dated 5/25/2004 9:46:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net writes:

> As  I recall, Triumph Herald & derivatives implement
> "anti-Ackerman"  steering ... don't know about the Spit & GT6.

Yow, I don't recall  ever hearing the term anti-Ackerman.  Would it
mean that the outer  wheel turns in more, that toe-in increases as
your turn the steering  wheel???  I've read the Spitfire/GT6 described
as modified  Ackerman.  At full lock it might be anti-Ackerman.  Now
I'm  curious.  I'll have to go out to the garage and start measuring
things.  (Thanks, Randall.  I really needed one more thing to  do! :-)
Don't anybody hold ye'r breath for me to post results  though.  Joe
C., help me out here!  I'm sure you've done it  already!)

=====
I can't provide a citation at the moment, but I have seen it referred
(regarding the Herald) as "reverse Ackerman"! It simply meant that, at
full
lock, the outside wheel was actually turning tighter than the inside
wheel...hence all the familiar scrubbing we've come to know and love as
we steal  that
tiny parking spot on the opposite side of the street. :-)
--Andy Mace

#####################

Don't start me lying!  :)

I just did some rudimentary measurements on Huxley (the red Spit) and
discovered that at full lock both directions, the outside wheel does
indeed turn to a greater degree than the inside wheel.  I am not sure
what you would call that.  I have not messed with the Ackerman on Tiny
Tim (the autocross Spit), so I have to think that the same applies
there.

I have however toed the front wheels out about 1/8" so that it will turn
in faster.  Perhaps that has counteracted the observation I found on
Huxley.

Right now, I am more concerned with the rear end of Tiny Tim.  I am in
the process of installing a Corvette Dana 36 diff, Custom built Koni
8212 coil-over shocks with Hypercoil springs and upper A-Frame control
arms.  The shafts are being upgraded with Porsche 930 CV-Joints and some
massive Spicer U-Joints.  So I am hoping that all my breakages will be a
thing of the past.

We'll see.

Joe