RE: Do it yourself alignment question (TR3A)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Do it yourself alignment question (TR3A)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:05:05 -0700
Let's see if I can get the quotes right <G>

Randall Young wrote :
> > As  I recall, Triumph Herald & derivatives implement
> > "anti-Ackerman"  steering ... don't know about the Spit & GT6.

Jim Muller replied :

> Yow, I don't recall  ever hearing the term anti-Ackerman.

It's possible I just made the term up ... but I certainly think I've read it
somewhere.

>  Would it
> mean that the outer  wheel turns in more, that toe-in increases as
> your turn the steering  wheel???

Yes.

Andy Mace wrote :
> I can't provide a citation at the moment, but I have seen it referred
> to (regarding the Herald) as "reverse Ackerman"!

Anti == reverse ... perhaps I'm thinking of "reverse Ackerman".

Joe Curry wrote :
> I just did some rudimentary measurements on Huxley (the red Spit) and
> discovered that at full lock both directions, the outside wheel does
> indeed turn to a greater degree than the inside wheel.  I am not sure
> what you would call that.  I have not messed with the Ackerman on Tiny
> Tim (the autocross Spit), so I have to think that the same applies
> there.
>
> I have however toed the front wheels out about 1/8" so that it will turn
> in faster.  Perhaps that has counteracted the observation I found on
> Huxley.

Well, the theory is that reverse Ackerman provides better adhesion at the
limits of cornering ... seems to me that you want to keep it !  Of course, I
suppose ideally it would match the slip angles of the tires you are running,
under the conditions on your car ... here's yet another thing to try to
optimize on the skid pan !  Of course roll centers and stiffness (and hence
your rear end changes) will affect it too.

> Right now, I am more concerned with the rear end of Tiny Tim.  I am in
> the process of installing a Corvette Dana 36 diff, Custom built Koni
> 8212 coil-over shocks with Hypercoil springs and upper A-Frame control
> arms.  The shafts are being upgraded with Porsche 930 CV-Joints and some
> massive Spicer U-Joints.  So I am hoping that all my breakages will be a
> thing of the past.

I have faith in you Joe ... don't worry, you'll find something else to break
!!

Randall