Brakes, first things first

To: "INTERNET:Harlyred1@aol.com" <Harlyred1@aol.com>
Subject: Brakes, first things first
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:04:09 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i81K4SdM024068
Message text written by INTERNET:Harlyred1@aol.com
>The first problem I see is the the brake pedal does not travel much at all

and the shoes, even with the drums removed, do not respond to pedal
pressure. I
 am assuming either a) brake lines blocked, b) wheel cyinders shot, or
master
 cylinder shot. The rubber on the wheel cylinders looks ok in that they are

not  cracked nor do I see any signs of leakage.
The emergency brake cable is shot as well, but in moving the cam or lever
at
the back plate by hand, I do get movement from the shoe.
Can I get an idea of what you may think the problem is?
I have a habit of replacing almost all of the brake systems on any older
vehicles I get, but I am especially anxious to get the TR on the road, if
only
for a spin to test drive it.
<

I am a strong advocate of not taking short cuts when it comes to brakes.
Your wheel cylinders are probably siezed and since they are not very
epensive, I would advocate getting new ones.  And new brake hoses while you
are at it.  Also carefully inspect all the steel lines.  In a car this old
they may rust to the point of leaking.  My 57 suddenly developped a puddle
inder the rear axle one day.  The line on the axle rusted through.  And
when working it off with a wrench, the other one broke, too.  So now I am
sporting two new stainless steel lines and new hoses.  All the other lines
look fine, the new wheel cylinders work great.

Just be greatfull you don't have 10" brakes.

Dave
57 TR3

Check out the new British Cars Forum: