Brakes, first things first

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brakes, first things first
From: Harlyred1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:42:24 EDT
Greetings all,
As I posted last week, I gave in and bought myself a 1960 TR3. (TS68419L).
The rear brakes are frozen as I found out driving it the short distance from
the  truck rental place to my home. First thing this a.m., I popped the rear
drums,  the right one being a real tough one to remove. The drums are OK,, and
at
the  machinist to be cut. The shoes however have seen better days,( the right
shoes  being very scored)  but the local parts store is able to get me new
ones  tomorrow.
The first problem I see is the the brake pedal does not travel much at all
and the shoes, even with the drums removed, do not respond to pedal pressure. I
 am assuming either a) brake lines blocked, b) wheel cyinders shot, or master
 cylinder shot. The rubber on the wheel cylinders looks ok in that they are
not  cracked nor do I see any signs of leakage.
The emergency brake cable is shot as well, but in moving the cam or lever  at
the back plate by hand, I do get movement from the shoe.
Can I get an idea of what you may think the problem is?
I have a habit of replacing almost all of the brake systems on any older
vehicles I get, but I am especially anxious to get the TR on the road, if only
for a spin to test drive it.
Thanks in advnce for your help in what is the first of many many questiosn
and pleas for assistance that will follow.

Terry

Check out the new British Cars Forum: