RE: Brakes, first things first

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brakes, first things first
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:03:43 -0700
> The first problem I see is the brake pedal does not travel
> much at all
> and the shoes, even with the drums removed, do not respond to
> pedal pressure. I
>  am assuming either a) brake lines blocked, b) wheel cyinders
> shot, or master
>  cylinder shot.

The TR3 has only a single MC, so if the front brakes work, the MC is OK.

IMO the most likely cause is that the pistons in the rear wheel cylinders
have corroded to the cylinders.  This is a fairly common problem with cars
that have been driven in salt and/or stored for a long time.  The steel and
aluminum set up an electrolytic cell that corrodes the aluminum and locks
the steel into place.  Fortunately, new cylinders are readily available, and
not too expensive.

Just be thankful you don't have an earlier TR with 10" rear brakes !

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO wrecked :(
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wannabe (waiting for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly

Check out the new British Cars Forum: