Re: TR6 head stud nuts TRF & Moss rant

To: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 head stud nuts TRF & Moss rant
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:34:19 -0700
>  Now I'm all for TR suppliers making a
> reasonable profit, maybe even an unreasonable profit on specialty items
> like quality head stud nuts, but passing hardware store nuts off as
> quality engine components and charging outrageously for them is just
> wrong to me.

Well golly,  don't forget that they get charged much higher prices for
less than box car quantities and volume contracts, have to pay someone
to order them someone to stock them, someone to take your order,
someone to ship them (& shipping materials), some one to inventory them
and someone to let you know they are available.  Their costs are going
to be higher than the chain store costs any way you look at it.  It is
economics of scale at work.

Personally I would go either ARP or British Frame & Engine for fixings
wherever possible.  All the fixings on my TR3's engine that deal with
stress came form one of those two sources.

T. J. Wakeman
Santa Cruz, California
  http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

A member of the internet community since 1985.

T. J. Wakeman

1960 Land Rover 109 Dormobile owned since 1978
1961 Triumph TR3A  owned since 1986, the new car

Check out the new British Cars Forum: