RE: TR6 head stud nuts TRF & Moss rant

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 head stud nuts TRF & Moss rant
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:11:59 -0700
> I bought some from TRF & Moss and they both sent grade 5 nuts that were
> IDENTICAL, right down to the manufacturer's marks to the nuts I found at
> Fastenal. The only difference was I was able to purchase 100 at Fastenal
> ($8.94) for only slightly more than the SHIPPING costs for 14 from Moss
> @ $1.20 ea. or TRF @ $1.10 ea.

Did you run a thread gage through them all, to be sure they were
manufactured to the same tolerances ?

Having the same manufacturer's marks really doesn't tell you anything except
who made them.

I've been told that the head nuts for the TRactor motor have a different
thread clearance standard than ordinary hardware store nuts, but I don't
know that for a fact.  However, I'm pretty sure that the original head nuts
for both engines were no stronger than Grade 5, certainly not as strong as
Grade 8.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: