FW: TR6 head stud nuts TRF & Moss rant

To: "6 List" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: TR6 head stud nuts TRF & Moss rant
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:11:54 -0400
Cc: <TRFMAIL@aol.com>, <parts@mossmotors.com>
Fellow Listers,

I'd like to follow up on what I've found out about the availability of
quality TR5, TR250 & TR6 cylinder head nuts.
Moss Motors has responded to the email below and it appears that they
agree that the nuts they sent me were indeed not the quality (grade 5)
that is appropriate. Some sort of supply, supplier mix-up at Moss
Europe. TRF has not responded.

I purchased 2 packs of 10 head stud nuts from ARP, a top-of-the-line
auto fastener supplier and received them today. The nuts they sent were
identical to the OEM nut in every dimensional way and differed only in
the mfg. marks. The 20 nuts were CHEAPER, delivered to my home than
either Moss or TRF's 14 nuts.

I appreciate the fact that Moss has cared enough to research the problem
(complaint) and appears to be doing something about it. I am
disappointed that TRF has chosen to be silent on the matter.

My conclusion is that if you need new cylinder head nuts I recommend
purchasing the quality product from ARP, available from Summit Racing
http://www.summitracing.com/ .  The part number is ARP-200-8636. BTW,
shipping is currently FREE.

I respect and appreciate the existence and effort TRF and Moss provide
for our hobby and I'm not trying to vilify these fine companies. I spend
thousands of dollars (cumulatively) with them annually and will continue
to do so. However, when any Triumph vendor supplies an inferior product
at an unreasonable price while another vendor supplies a quality product
at a reasonable price I feel it is my responsibility to at least inform
the TR community.

Thanks,
Jim Davis

 Anyone know of a source of quality or NOS TR6 head stud nuts? Are grade
5 nuts acceptable for this application?

I bought some from TRF & Moss and they both sent grade 5 nuts that were
IDENTICAL, right down to the manufacturer's marks to the nuts I found at
Fastenal. The only difference was I was able to purchase 100 at Fastenal
($8.94) for only slightly more than the SHIPPING costs for 14 from Moss
@ $1.20 ea. or TRF @ $1.10 ea. Now I'm all for TR suppliers making a
reasonable profit, maybe even an unreasonable profit on specialty items
like quality head stud nuts, but passing hardware store nuts off as
quality engine components and charging outrageously for them is just
wrong to me.

Jim Davis

Fortson, GA

CF38690UO