RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:23:40 -0700
> First off, the lift-the-piston method of checking mixture doesn't work on
> Z-S carbs. It only works on the older SU's because the needles
> are profiled
> to do that.  However this results in to high emission levels and will not
> satisfy the US standards in effect since 1968.

In addition, if you could somehow set them rich enough to satisfy the "lift
the piston" test (the carbs are designed to prevent this); the mixture at
cruise would be way too rich.

The "lift the piston" test in the Bentley/factory manual/Haynes/etc. simply
does not apply to emissions carbs as used on US models after about 1970.
There are other errors as well, for example I believe at least one place
says to disconnect the vacuum unit when making adjustments.  For US models
with vacuum retard, the retard should be connected and operating when making
idle adjustments.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: