RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>, "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:13:45 -0400
Dave, I respectfully disagree with you about the lift-the-piston technique for
ZS carbs.  I believe that the technique WILL work.  The carbs do not know what
sort of profile is on the needle.  Additionally, as far as the needle goes,
lifting the piston should enrich the mixture, but the huge "air leak" caused
by lifting the piston will create significant leaning of the mixture.

Chad, 1/4" is usually WAY too much.  Usually 1/16" is enough to see whether it
is tuned right.  The problem is that unless you have "lifting pins" on the
carbs (I forget if your ZS carbs do) then you have to do this with the air
cleaners removed.  The loss of the  slight flow restriction probably leans out
the mixture, so the carbs will be running richer with the filters in place.

So, Chad, I respectfully submit that if you want to make your carbs as good as
can be and as reliable as can be, then you have to pull them off the car and
wrap them in burlap.  Buy some SU carbs and slap them on.  All CARBURETTOR
problems solved and Tony gets some beers.

However, you may have a vacuum leak somewhere (or maybe even an ignition
problem).  I think you have a vacuum retard on this car, so try to disconnect
it.  (the idle should go up somewhat)  See if the hunting persists.
Disconnect the PCV system and plug up the vacuum side.  Does this change
anything?

-Tony

Check out the new British Cars Forum: