RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:41:09 -0500
Chad,

Dave Massey is very likely on the money with the bypass valve being the
problem.  I was working on my friend's TR7 (with similar carbs) and had
problems with the idle being too fast.  He told me about the bypass valve.
I adjusted it tighter (to make it need more vacuum to pull additional air
past) and this allowed the idle to come back down to normal as it should.
Your first question will be, how do you set it.  (At least that was my
question.)  The TR7 manual gives a procedure to do one carb at a time.
Tighten it all the way down to keep it closed.  Loosen it till the idle
starts running away.  Then tighten it back up a turn or two.  The Zenith
Stromburg manual gives you a vacuum pressure that should open the valve.  I
have used both procedures and been successfully.

But the above requires good diaphragms.  If you have bad diaphragms, new
ones can be bought.  I have replaced them on at least four carb rebuilds
that I have done.  If they are not with the rebuild kit, they can be bought
separately.  (Or you can blank them off with a gasket.)

Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis Triumph Owners Association
---