RE: Md inspection

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Md inspection
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:11:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net i8SCCT5e020102
Message text written by "Randall"
>> Second the break light doesn't come on when the car is started.
> I always thought that it only came on in a failure.   Instead of
> spending an hour (I admit to being lazy) going over the wiring
> diagram to prove this, can someone tell me if this is fact or ficiton.

It would be a whole lot easier to answer that question if you told us what
car you were working on ... however, assuming you're talking about the
warning lamp on the dash, I believe it should come on for all Triumphs.
<

Quite true.  But different cars use different methods of illuminating this
lamp.  On the earlier model TR6's the brake lamp is wired in series with
the oil failure lamp and will illuminate when the key is on but the engine
is not running (no oil pressure) but on the 76 uses a special "lamp test"
relay to illuminate the brake and the EGR warning lamps when the starter is
engaged.  Every car I've experienced will illuminate these warning lamps
when the starter is engaged, not just Triumphs, and I suspect that it is a
legal requirement which would explain why they would fail your car for not
doing so.

It should be standard procedure to check for proper operation of the
warning lamps during starting (not that anybody does).  I'm sure that is
what Joan Claybrook had in mind.

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: