RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!

To: "INTERNET:spamiam@comcast.net" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:32:07 -0400
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> i8RDWg5e011052
Message text written by INTERNET:spamiam@comcast.net
>Dave,  After some thought, now I agree with you.  After I replied to your
message I saw Randall's.   I then gave more thought to the issue (better
late than never).  I realized that I did not KNOW the effect of any
potential idle air passages and whatnot on the emissions ZS carbs.  I also
dd not KNOW what the CO reading is when set the old way, and I did not KNOW
how this compared to the setting when done the "new" way.   I am not
positive that the needle profile was not changed in the idle position to
alter the idle characteristics which was not represented further along the
profile.  (I.E.  the profile might be set to be lean at idle, and if set to
"correct the old way" at idle then the rest would be too rich).  (I still
would have thought that setting the emissions carbs the old fashioned way
would be no worse for CO AT IDLE than the same technique for the old carbs.
 I guess it is just not what the rest of the profile was designed for, and
the rest of the mixture will not be ideal)
I still think that I deserve the beers because I did give the correct
ultimate solution.  Dump the crappy old emissions ZS carbs!!!!!!!
<

The point that is being glossed over is the fact that we are setting the
carbs at idle and expecting the settings to be correct for running
conditions (under load, at speed) and how you set the at-idle setting
depends on how the needle is profiled in the idle portion vs the at speed
portion.  And the emissions era needles are indeed reprofiled for obvious
reasons so alternate adjustment techniques are requires.

Strombergs are fine carbs and work well once you stop trying to adjust them
using SU techniques!  Compared to Strombergs, SU are primative.  They were
designed to be adjusted using stone knives and bear skins.  But they are
not up to the task of clean emissions.  Strombergs are refined enough to
meet the challange.

They are also capable of high power output.  A friend of mine who races
SCCA says that TR6's are not allowed to run Z-S carbs and are required to
run Webers choked down for this reasons.

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: