RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:35:46 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> i8RFaP5e015349
Message text written by "Randall"
>Ok, Dave, now I'm going to disagree with you.  The SU design was every bit
>capable of being "cleaned up" as the ZS was, the switch to ZS carbs was
for
>economic reasons, not engineering ones.  Comparing a 70's CDSEV to a 50's
H6
>is like criticizing an apple because it's the wrong shade of orange ...

True but even these don't tune like the old H6's or even the HS6's.

>I would love to know which SCCA classification outlaws the original carbs
>... frankly I think this is either a mistake or a gross distortion.  The
>only way I can imagine this would be true would be some sort of "intake
>limited" class, where the 1.75" throats are above the limit.

Most likely.  Dennis Wilson raced a TR6 in the late 70's (whn the factory
was campaigning the TR7) and got 250 HP out of Strombergs.  His opinion is
that you can put more air through a Stromberg than through an SU.

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: