RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!

Subject: RE: TR6 Carburetor Problems - FREE BEER!!!!!!!!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 07:12:37 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> Strombergs are fine carbs and work well once you stop trying to
> adjust them
> using SU techniques!  Compared to Strombergs, SU are primative.  They were
> designed to be adjusted using stone knives and bear skins.  But they are
> not up to the task of clean emissions.  Strombergs are refined enough to
> meet the challange.

Ok, Dave, now I'm going to disagree with you.  The SU design was every bit
capable of being "cleaned up" as the ZS was, the switch to ZS carbs was for
economic reasons, not engineering ones.  Comparing a 70's CDSEV to a 50's H6
is like criticizing an apple because it's the wrong shade of orange ...

> They are also capable of high power output.  A friend of mine who races
> SCCA says that TR6's are not allowed to run Z-S carbs and are required to
> run Webers choked down for this reasons.

I would love to know which SCCA classification outlaws the original carbs
... frankly I think this is either a mistake or a gross distortion.  The
only way I can imagine this would be true would be some sort of "intake
limited" class, where the 1.75" throats are above the limit.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: