Re: TR-6 Differential Carrier

To: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Differential Carrier
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:18:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mitchel Seff wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I also recently pick up a used differential on eBay( out of a 76 with
> 65,000 miles) . After removing the back cover and checking backlash &
> eyeballing the rest this thing looks brand new. The gear oil was black
> but no metal sludge or filings. My original plan was to rebuild this
> unit before I installed it but because it's an unmolested & unabused
> example it's going in as is.
> My questions are,
> 1)Anything else I should look for

Remove the carrier and check for worn or pitted gears (spiders to!).
The shims that ride behind the 16t spiders are fiber and sometimes
decintigrate leaving
a very loose fit and metal to metal contact with the carrier. check the
specs and replace
if necessary with metal shim stock form your local drive line or machine
shop. Also the
brass cup shims behind the 10t spiders should be checked as well (new
ones are available
from the usual sources).

> 2)I would like to wash the old gear oil out, what should I use

Brake clean spray on in a can works well.

> 3)Has anyone used synthetic gear oil & what do you think

Amsol is what I use.

> As always, thanks

Your welcome,
-jimb