Re: TR-6 Differential Carrier

To: "List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Differential Carrier
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 00:29:30 +0100
Hi Dennis
I would suggest that you use some Loctite stud and bearing fit. This is an
excellent product, and should retain the bearing with at least as much force
as the other side. The 0.001 inch difference in diameter will make the
difference between a light press fit and an interference fit. The old
bearing must have spun on the carrier due to some type of seizure, either
due to a small piece of debris or less likely serious wear. A new bearing
would in my opinion be unlikely to spin again without any assistance from
Loctite so if you use some you will be safe. If you are troubled by this
thought then look out for a carrier second hand, there are several "donor"
vehicles for this piece, The TR 4A 5 (250) and 6 also any of the 2000, 2500
2.5 series of saloons as well as the Dolomite Sprint, and I think it is the
same bit in the TR 2 3 and 4.
I Believe the list to be accurate but I have been unable to verify as I
don't have catalogues for all of the cars!

Graham.