Re: TRactor Engine Overheating

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TRactor Engine Overheating
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:36:41 -0700
John & Patricia Donnelly wrote:

>...having the coolant tested for exhaust gases (also known as a block test).
>We
>believe that the head gasket may have burnt through, especially since I have
>87
>mm pistons and there have been similar type problems with these gaskets in the
>past with the bigger liners. A compression test, nor a cooling system pressure
>test wouldn't find this type of problem.

FWIW -- I once tested for and found this problem (on a Fiat) by
stretching a balloon over the radiator neck and pumping air into each
cylinder one at a time (using the spark plug hole fitting from my
compression tester) until I found one cylinder that inflated the
balloon.  If you don't have a big enough balloon you can probably find
something suitable in most gas station restrooms.

The 'sniff test' should be conclusive but the balloon method had a
certain "Mr Wizard" quality to it.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4