Re: Identifying TR3-4 trannies

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Identifying TR3-4 trannies
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:49:08 -0700
> Serial number is stamped on the left side of the case on the TR2 through
the
> 3A.  On the 4 / 4A it is on the clutch lever boss again on the left side
> (driver's side).  The 2 / 3A version has a prefix of TS while the 4 / 4A
has
> a CT prefix.  Find that number and someone on the list should even be able
> to tell you what it was born with and its approximate build date.

Are the serial numbers different for OD's? I have just taken possession of a
transmission with an overdrive. It came out of a junkyard many years ago and
sat at a friends house. The tag the dealer put on it said it came from a
TR4a with 20,000 miles on it.  The serial number is on a plate on the OD
unit, says Laycock and has the numbers  22/61753/   009353. On the trans
unit are casting numbers  306812SM and V2947.

There are three switches on the top plate of the transmission, can anyone
tell me which one is for what?

And most importantly, will I have any trouble installing it to my TR3A with
a bullet nose starter?

Thanks,
Bob

Check out the new British Cars Forum: