RE: Cheapo paint job

To: "'tr3driver@comcast.net'" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Cheapo paint job
From: "McEwen, Art" <Art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:12:09 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>>My plan (so far) is to do the stripping myself

>>then send the car to my local Maaco shop

> If you do that Art, be sure to talk to Maaco about what primer to use
first.

That's a good point, my plan was to buy the same brand of primer as the shop
uses.  I wonder if that's what caused John W's problem?

Priming myself probably won't actually save me much (if any money), but it
will make me part of the process ;)

I took my road car to Maaco a few years ago for a quote and was really
turned off, their paint quote was 3-4 times their newspaper ad price.  But I
recently spoke with the new owner/manager and got a totally different vibe.

BTW does anybody know the finish processes used at the factory in the
50's-60's?

During stripping the original primrose yellow (which is starting to appeal
to me) has been by far the thinnest of all the layers present and about the
best adhered (with some huge runs and missed spots on the inner fenders).

Art.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: