Re: Rocker arms and shipping to Canada

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rocker arms and shipping to Canada
From: "Wesley J. Radstaak, B.Sc., P.Ag." <wes_mwi@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:37:16 -0700
> Second, if indeed it is getting tougher to use the US postal service are
> there alternatives other Canucks have found? I know I could have it
> shipped
> to a US address and cross the border myself but unless it's very big
> ticket
> or very large size it isn't worth it to lose the time it takes me to do
> that.

I, too have just been shocked with the shipping charges that us Canucks face
when shipping out of the states via UPS.
First, I do think that UPS is it own brokerage (correct me if I am wrong)
because I have used them when bringing bigger ticket items like boats and
boilers across the border.  In fact, I use them exclusively.  It does not,
however make my orders from Victoria British or Moss any cheaper. I find
that the shipping charges for LBC parts out of the states is a ballpark 30%
premium even after the exchange rate and the good ol Good and Services Taxes
are added up.
Jim, you might want to look at freight carriers such as Canadian Freightways
to ship even normal parcels.  But I think you will still have to have your
own brokerage.  Greyhound Parcel service might also be a cheaper option.
Also, shipping to a business address in Canada allows you to use the NAFTA
free trade agreement to your advantage and you will skip duty charges,  or
so I hear....;-).  Not that I would EVER try to avoid paying additional
taxes.
Bottom line is, sometimes our LBC parts are better bought from Prestige Auto
or the Octogon group.  I've had good service and parts from both NFI.  Then
you can enjoy having Canada Post take your money....

Wes
73 TR6
Edmonton, Alberta