Re: wheel bearings

To: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:42:56 -0700
Discoloring of the bearing was usually means the bearing was overheated at
some time, possibly not shot, but ready to go and quite possibly from being
too tight, or lack of grease.  There should be a very very slight wobble
(just perceptible) when grabbing the wheel at the top and bottom and
shaken.  No play indicates a too tight wheel bearing, and of course wobble
indicates one that is too loose.  I usually set up the end play by
tightening the nut while spinning the wheel until the wheel just starts to
stop spinning(gets tight).  Then I back off the nut one flat and check for
the slight play required.