Re: Car club rant ; now breaking cars

To: pryner@verizon.net, frede.thomas2@verizon.net, iron_horse819@yahoo.com,
Subject: Re: Car club rant ; now breaking cars
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:16:37 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/2005 3:58:47 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
pryner@verizon.net writes:

Lets  wait a minute before we throw out the baby with the bath.  I've  had
several cars that I've broken down for spares as they just weren't  worth the
$$$ to restore.  Where else are we going to get original  parts to repair our
cars?  There are many instances where it makes  more sense to salvage usuable
parts and throw the rust away vice spending a  fortune rebuilding a vin
plate.  Obviously the more rare the car is,  the more it may pay to restore.
When I have had parts available most owners  are very happy that I made the
parts available so they could get a good  original part.  Just my $.02
Pete

Pete and all,

I've hesitated to chime in, because I remembered my first experience with a
"Sports Car" club and how they didn't take to the long haired high school kid
with the Riley 1.5.  However, I also worked in my dad's salvage yard.

I could cry today over the chevy's, fords, chryslers, and yes British cars,
we cut up, parted out and then crushed for scrap metal.

A few years ago, there was an import salvage dealer here in El Paso that
would take running British sports cars and part them out.  BUT, he could  make
twice as much or more from the parts than he could from the sale of the
restorable car, and that's why he was in business.  I'd like to think that
several
cars were repaired or restored with the parts of each one he  scrapped.

Where would we get used parts for our Triumphs if none were ever  scrapped.
As many of us can say from the list members experiences, hardly  any rusty
shell is beyond saving if you are willing to put the time and money in  it.

I thoroughly enjoy the lists I am on, much more than the times I have
visited local clubs.

Robert B.  Houston
Texan in New Mexico

63 TR4
73 MG Midget
94 F150
03  Beetle

To model our political system upon speculations of  lasting tranquility, is
to calculate on the weaker springs of the human  character.
---Alexander  Hamilton