brake shoes

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake shoes
From: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:00:19 -0500
Listers:

A couple of weeks ago I removed the cover on the 54 TR2 to start the annual
preseason cleaning and servicing.  During the last week of last year's driving
season I noticed that the left front brake had a tendency to grab  (2s and
early 3s have drums front and rear).  Sure enough when I pulled that drum I
saw that a cylinder had leaked and ruined the shoes.  Kind of took my breath
away when I saw that Moss wanted $100 a set for the 10" drums.

My hometown of Auburn, Indiana has a huge number of classic cars that
routinely drive in our 10,000 population town so I started asking around where
one could get brake shoes relined.  All recommended a 30 year old company in
Ft. Wayne, Indiana whose only function is rebuilding brake shoes.  The owner
was at his normal station behind the counter when I picked up my relined shoes
today.  He said most of the popular British car shoes can be relined for a
cost of $9 per shoe!

Old world craftsmen like him don't bother with new fangled web sites and do
quite well, thank you.  Business name is Brake Materials & Parts with a phone
number of 260-426-3331.

NFI of course but I wanted to pass the name to listers facing the high price
of some brake shoes from our normal suppliers.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana