RE: tr4 fuel pressure

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr4 fuel pressure
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 08:24:06 -0700
> You probably should get a pressure regulator
> that regulates that low.  Some don't.

And lots of people have had problems even with the regulators that are supposed
to work.  John mentioned the regulator recall, the recalled regulators were also
sold under the Purolator name, and several people have found that their local
dealers were unaware of the recall.  These units are actively dangerous; the
diaphragm was made of the wrong material and can deteriorate when exposed to
modern US gasoline.  There have been reports of fuel being sprayed around under
pressure.

Other regulators, not affected by the recall, have been found to cause problems
too.

There is also the problem that some electric pumps, especially the high flow
models sold for racing, don't like being "dead ended".  They rely on a flow of
fuel to keep the fuel from overheating inside the pump; and so require a return
line to the tank.

> Or if you want reliability,
> simplicity and the correct pressure for your carbs you can always use a
> stock mechanical fuel pump.

Electric pumps with the correct pressure rating for Triumphs are also readily
available, probably even from NAPA.  I'm fond of the little Facet "cube", which
is available in several pressure ratings including one suitable for TRs.  It's
fully electronic, has no points or diaphragm to wear out and fail, and can be
used with either positive or negative ground.  Carbureted VWs take the same
pump, so they can frequently be found at any store that caters to vintage VWs.
Or there's always eBay.  These pumps may not be suitable for highly modified
motors as they're only rated for about 15 gph (eg 120 mph at 8 mpg), but they
seem to work well on the street.  Facet also makes racing pumps with higher flow
ratings but still the proper low pressure.

YMMV
Randall