Re: Starting cold

To: fpgowash@cox.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting cold
From: scharfr@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:08:15 -0400
Greetings:

  These cold starting symptoms, and the easy stating when warm, point to
an ineffective choke. Make sure the choke cable is getting full
extension, that the carbs are fully choked. On my car with the very
same symptoms, the choke cable had come loose at the pinch bolt on the
carb linkage. Pulling out the choke knob all the way in the cockpit
only gave a very limited degree of movement at the carbs. Fixing it was
my favorite kind of repair: two minutes and zero dollars.

 Bob Sharp
 Michigan
 '64-ish TR4

 From: "Francis P. Gowash" <fpgowash@cox.net>
 Subject: Starting cold

 Hi all
 This has been a nuisance long enough to prompt me to ask the list.
  My car (1958 TR3A) takes several tries at full choke to start after
sitting
 for a day or longer.
  Then it takes a while to warm up....5 minutes or so. This is even when
the
 outside temp is above 50 deg F.
 After driving it always starts fairly quick.
  I don't recall this type of problem back in the days when I was a kid
and
 having a car 3-4 years old!
 Is this normal for this car?
  I do not have the fuel pump with the primer lever, unfortunately. Is
the
  fuel draining from the carbs, etc.?