RE: Brake Rotor Diameter Question

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Rotor Diameter Question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:51:04 -0700
> Would the later 10.75" rotors work on an early TR3A (Caliper "A")?  I
> wondered because the 1/8" difference in radius seems so slight but I
> have never seen the 2 sizes side by side to know if there are other
> differences.

AFAIK there are no other differences.  What I've been told by those who should
know, is that the unused portion of the pads will eventually "meet in the
middle" and keep the brakes from working.  Should be easy enough to work around
this problem, but I've never tried it.  Bought a set of 11" rotors from Rimmers
(complete with pads) at VTR in Breckenridge for a quite nice price, but haven't
needed them yet.

TR3 brakes have such a huge swept area that I would feel safer running "too
thin" original rotors than messing around with rotors that didn't fit, anyway.
I've seen people run original rotors down to less than 1/4" thickness, and
apparently never have a problem.  Looked almost like motorcycle rotors.

Randall