TR3 restoration - rust removal - let's talk compressors!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 restoration - rust removal - let's talk compressors!
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:36:22 -0700 (PDT)
No, this isn't a "what compressor should I buy?"
request. Please read on through my convoluted
thoughts...

This post comes timely after Terry Smith's pondering
letter of what to do during a restoration process
after it's out of your hands. Here's what *I* do:

Do your own bodywork! No, seriously, if I had the
money I would be right in line with Terry and have a
professional do the body. However, I've got a hefty
mortgage and 2 young'uns. This message also comes
timely after FT's words of wisdom on how to get
divorced quickly. My way of staying married is to do
all of Fred's "NO-NO's", but to do them on a budget.

So, my budget includes doing my own bodywork.
Currently, I am in the bead blasting phase. Every nut
and panel than can be removed has been and the body is
up on a wooden dolly. I made a "booth" out of 3/4" PVC
pipe and tied painters plastic over the whole thing to
contain all blasting media (Aluminum oxide, which can
be reused many times, so I want to keep track of as
much of it as possible!). Using my dad's syphon
bead-blaster, I hooked it up to my little hotdog
compressor and realize the compressor doesn't have a
chance of running it. I glance over at another hotdog
compressor sitting idle and the wheels start turning.
Soon, I had them tee-d together
(compressor->compressor->filter/drier->blaster) and it
seems to work.

Now I'm wondering about whether I'm damaging the
compressors by running two of them off the same
circuit. They both claim to require 10AMPS at 120V and
I have a 30Amp 10 gauge single-outlet circuit that's
only 30 feet from service panel to outlet. Neither
compressor is on an extension cord. I measured voltage
and here are readings:

Unloaded: 120.5 volts
One compressor: 117.1 volts
Two compressors: 113.5 volts

I tried researching on the internet to see at what
voltage drop compressors motors start burning up. No
luck. Anyone know?

If I get many emails for pictures of my cheapo PVC
booth, I might just get off my rear and add a page to
my website. I'm planning to use this $30 booth ($20
PVC/$10 plastic) for painting also. Don't worry, I'll
be spending the proper bucks on a quality respirator
to keep from painting my lungs.

Richard
TS42099L and TS62007L, two so-so TR3A's being made
into one good one. Coming up on a 5 year project - at
least I get to drive dad's sharp TR3A when I start
getting discouraged!