RE: Off topic....for sure!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Off topic....for sure!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:31:33 -0700
> One thing XP does better than Windoze 98 is handle program crashes (which is
> a good thing considering how common they are).  I'm not sure but it appears
> that it is a true multitasking system as opposed to the pseudo-multitasking
> program that came before.

The key isn't so much multi-tasking (which XP still isn't very good at) but
protection.  With 98 (along with all previous versions and Me), any errant
program could write all over other program's memory, even the operating system.
With NT and those based on it (2000, XP), that privilege is restricted to
drivers and system modules.  And M$ did a lot to clean up their system-level
code, so it's less apt to crash.

Now if we could just get them to quit writing "back doors" for the hackers to
use to control our computers ...

Randall