Re: Off topic....for sure!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off topic....for sure!
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:08:00 EDT
In a message dated 4/20/2005 7:20:12 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> Dave, I think you (like most people) are laboring under a misconception.
> The purpose of new computers is not to get your work done faster, it's to
> make more money for the people who own Intel and Micro$oft stock, like Bill
> Gates.

Everything I see Bill on TV I get an image of a black mask and labored
breathing.  And words to the effect of "I have you now."

Actually we have two groups of people working at cross purposes.  On the one
hand we have the hardware people increasing the machines to handle the bloated
code in a more efficient manner, and on the other hand we have Micro$oft
seeing the faster machines as a license to bloat the code all the more.

One thing XP does better than Windoze 98 is handle program crashes (which is
a good thing considering how common they are).  I'm not sure but it appears
that it is a true multitasking system as opposed to the pseudo-multitasking
program that came before.

My DOS box is a 486 DX2/66 which is one generation shy of the Pentium series.
 And although by today's standards it is slow, it is running DOS which is
compact and efficient and it literally screams.  I've yet to see it take more
than a second to repaint (redraw, refresh) the screen on even the most
intensive
and complicated design.  Usually it takes less than a 1/4 second.

Dave