Re: Trigonometry?

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trigonometry?
From: "scott s." <75270.3703@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:55:33 -1000
T. S. White wrote:

> I have a math question related to my driveline angles.  I would
> appreciate it if someone could solve this problem for me since I
> passed trig twice and never understood it once.
>
> I have a triangle with the angles 9, 168, 3.  If the 9 degree angle
> changes to 5 degrees what are the other new angles?  Thanks.

I think what you want is the law of sines:

a1/sin(a1) = b1/sin(b1) = c1/sin(c1)

a2/sin(a2) = b2/sin(b2) = c2/sin(c2)

But to solve, you need to know which sides are going to be the  same
length after the change.
Then you can set, for example a1=a2 and b1=b2 letting c2 vary.  In this
case I think the new (angle b2)
is 1.67.

scott s.
.