Re: U-Joint Cap Rotating

To: <spamiam@comcast.net>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U-Joint Cap Rotating
From: "phil ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:25:52 -0500
> >> Before installing the u-joints in the rear axle shafts on my TR4A, I
> >> took a Dremel tool sanding bit and ran it through the yokes to clean up
> >> where the u-joint caps would fit through.
>
> >Why would anyone do this?  I'm just curious.

> Because the yokes have corrosion where the caps are supposed to seat.
With the corrosion the new ones will not allow themselves to be gently
tapped into place?
> -Tony

Makes sense.

I have always figured that if I was able to press the old ones out, I'd be
able to press the new ones in.  I do like to put anti-seize on them,
figuring that I will have an easier job next time around.

If the holes are a bit oversized, how about green LocTite bearing-setting
goo?  You might need to propane-torch it to get them out again, though.

1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net http://www.mnautox.com/ http://www.lotusowners.com