Re: Cut-off switches and alternators

To: "Tom Walling" <pdqtr6@suscom-maine.com>,
Subject: Re: Cut-off switches and alternators
From: "phil ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:11:17 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Walling" <pdqtr6@suscom-maine.com>
To: "Randy Clark" <grantura@earthlink.net>; "Triumph List"
<triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 7:24 PM
Subject: Cut-off switches and alternators

> I am helping a friend get a TVR Grantura (OK - just for the sake of this
list,
> drop the middle "V") ready for vintage racing this season.  Almost there,
but
> that's a topic for another time and another list...
>
> My question is -- if the emergency cut-off switch is employed whilst the
> engine is running, is there any damage being done to the alternator
(diodes)?
> The car does not have a generator, but it has an alternator.

There is a safety-cuttoff switch available for alternator-equipped cars.  I
think they have three connections instead of two.  They are available at all
the race-car supply outfits.  If you have one of these, I am told you can
safely hit the cut-off without damaging your alternator.

1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net http://www.mnautox.com/ http://www.lotusowners.com