RE: Of A-type Overdrives and Turnsignal flashers

To: "Augustine, Scott \(LNG-CSP\)" <Scott.Augustine@lexisnexis.com>,
Subject: RE: Of A-type Overdrives and Turnsignal flashers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:57:04 -0700
>       When I try to engage the overdrive the solenoid plunger jackhammers
> up and down.  Is this the 'continuous' buzzing referred to in the overdrive
> manual that indicates the solenoid needs to be replaced,

Yup.  The holding coil is not working.  The pull-in coil lifts the plunger, then
the contacts open and since the holding coil isn't working, the plunger falls
again.  Then the contacts close and the cycle repeats.

There's a small chance you can carefully disassemble the solenoid, find a broken
wire and resolder it.  But a new solenoid is better.

Should be available from all the usual suspects.

Randall