RE: TR3 leaky rear end

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 leaky rear end
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:47:10 -0700
>  Hello, listers,  I replaced the differential cover gasket on my TR3
> when I first got it,  because there was a fair amount of leakage. I
> must have done a poor job, because it's worse than before. Aftr
> scraping off the old gasket, I used the thin cardboard gasket from
> TRF, with a thin coating on both sides of Permatex Hi Temp RTV
> Silicon gasket sealant. Have you any tips for my second attempt at
> this job?

Are you certain the cover/housing gasket is where it's leaking ?  My experience
has been that they're pretty easy to seal.  But, if the front seal is leaking,
or you've got a tube loose in the pumpkin, the oil will get blown all over the
place & might look like the gasket is leaking.

You'll also want to check that the cover is flat, and not dimpled towards the
housing at the bolt holes.  Lay it down on a flat surface, like a sheet of glass
(or even new MDF is usually pretty flat) and use a feeler gauge to check for
imperfections.

Randall