Re: TR3 leaky rear end

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 leaky rear end
From: Kurtis Jones <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:33:46 -0500
On 4/27/05, Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net> wrote:
> >  Hello, listers,  I replaced the differential cover gasket on my TR3
> > when I first got it,  because there was a fair amount of leakage. I
> > must have done a poor job, because it's worse than before. Aftr
> > scraping off the old gasket, I used the thin cardboard gasket from
> > TRF, with a thin coating on both sides of Permatex Hi Temp RTV
> > Silicon gasket sealant. Have you any tips for my second attempt at
> > this job?
>
> Are you certain the cover/housing gasket is where it's leaking ?  My
>experience
> has been that they're pretty easy to seal.  But, if the front seal is leaking,
> or you've got a tube loose in the pumpkin, the oil will get blown all over the
> place & might look like the gasket is leaking.
>
> You'll also want to check that the cover is flat, and not dimpled towards the
> housing at the bolt holes.  Lay it down on a flat surface, like a sheet of
>glass
> (or even new MDF is usually pretty flat) and use a feeler gauge to check for
> imperfections.
>
> Randall

I agree with Randall.  I first suspected the gasket on my leaky
differential (perhaps because that's the easiest leak to address).
However, after replacing the gasket, I noticed no decrease in puddle
size.  My problem turned out to be the front seal, which was a little
bit more of a pain to replace.

--
Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas